(Australian Associated Press)
The Huntsman: Winter’s War is the fairest of them all at the Australian box office.
Starring Chris Hemsworth, The Huntsman: Winter’s War is a prequel to the 2012 film Snow White And The Huntsman and explores the Huntsman’s origins.
It grossed $2.727 million on its opening weekend, just eclipsing Zootopia ($2.646 million) which remains in second place, according to the Motion Picture Distributors Association of Australia.
Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice fell two spots but still grossed $2.083 million in its third week of release.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 ($1.790 million) is still holding up well, coming in fourth while animated flick Kung Fu Panda ($1.453 million) was fifth.
UK action thriller London Has Fallen, starring Gerard Butler and Morgan Freeman, took $309,833 over the weekend to finish sixth.
Thriller Eye In The Sky, featuring the late Alan Rickman, jumped two spots despite selling fewer tickets than it did the previous weekend.
Two weekends ago Eye In The Sky was ninth with $303,847 and over the weekend it grossed $286,586 to land in seventh spot.
The final three spots in the top 10 were filled by The Lady In The Van ($193,191), Deadpool ($175,885) and Rams ($126,551) which were eighth, ninth and 10th respectively.
TOP 10 FILMS FOR THE WEEKEND APRIL 7 TO APRIL 10:
1. The Huntsman: Winter’s War (Universal) – $2.727 million
2. Zootopia (Disney) – $2.646 million
3. Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice (Warner Bros) – $2.083 million
4. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (Universal) – $1.790 million
5. Kung Fu Panda 3 (Fox/Dreamworks) – $1.453 million
6. London Has Fallen (Roadshow) – $309,833
7. Eye In The Sky (Entertainment One) – $286,586
8. The Lady In The Van (Sony Pictures) – $193,191
9. Deadpool (Fox) – $175,885
10. Rams (Palace) – $126,551
* Source: Motion Picture Distributors Association of Australia.