(Australian Associated Press)
LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Australia’s Acting Chief Medical Officer Michael Kidd warned that coronavirus vaccines will not trigger wholesale changes to restrictions when the rollout ramps up in coming months.
* New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern expressed disappointment with Australia’s decision to suspend quarantine-free travel to Australia for 72 hours, saying the situation in her country was “well under control”.
* Australia reached its ninth consecutive day of zero community cases of transmission.
* Fragments of COVID-19 were detected at seven wastewater sites around Queensland, but no new cases were recorded.
* Victoria’s health department requested any arrivals from New Zealand since January 14 to get tested and isolate until they receive a negative result.
* Victoria reached 20 days with now new local coronavirus cases. One case was diagnosed in hotel quarantine, and authorities confirmed it is not connected to the Australian Open.
* NSW Health said low testing numbers were a concern, as the state recorded the ninth day in a row without a local infection.
* The state recorded two cases in hotel quarantine.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* There were four new virus cases recorded in Australia on Monday: two in NSW, one in Victoria, and one in WA. All were diagnosed in hotel quarantine.
* The national death toll is 909: Victoria 820, NSW 56, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 6, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 99,706,000
* Deaths: at least 2,139,000
* Recovered: at least 55,040,000.
Data current as of 1730 AEDT on January 26, taking in federal and state/territory government updates, Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.