In choosing clothes for a 1-on-1 meeting often it is better to dress plain rather than going too formal. The same applies when selecting a template for your email marketing.
This is why Feedsy has added a plain text template (alongside the current formal design) to the email marketing wardrobe.
So, what do we mean by plain text vs formal design and why would you choose one and not the other.
Formal Design – eg the left hand sample above
- Often referred to as an HTML template and usually styled with colours and graphics.
- The recipient feels like effort was made putting the email together (maybe even set-up by a professional designer or developer).
- The current FeedsyMail (and FeedsyFlash) template is an example – featuring branded coloured panels, a logo header, a CONTACT button, a background colour, articles isolated in white boxes, etc
- Perfect for professional presentation of newsletters and other formal marketing communications from your business.
Plain Text – eg the right hand sample above
- Looks like it could be generated directly and quickly as an email.
- To the recipient it feels directly sent from person to person.
- Designed to look like it was not designed (ie it is an HTML template that does not look like an HTML template) with standard email footer (logo, address, etc).
- Perfect for persuasive emails – often with a Call To Action (CTA).
See the above example of the same email message (Did you know we have an app?) and CTA (download the app) created as Formal Design (left) and in an early version of our Plain text template (right).
After an A/B test, the Plain Text version was found to be far more effective (38% more opens) than the Formal Design.
* Feedsy’s Plain Text Email template is free ($0) with:
And includes pre-written emails (that can be edited) for:
- Welcoming a new subscriber (auto-sent) – SEE EXAMPLE
- Download our app (for Apps clients only) – SEE EXAMPLE
We will be rolling this out for all Apps+Mail+Web, Web+Mail+Social and MailPlus clients over the upcoming months.
However, if you would like this earlier then let us know by clicking the link below.
Our Plain Text Email template is so new it is not even on our website yet.
Stay tuned for more info.